Saturday, March 7, 2020

HOW TO COPE - by Greta Zwaan




HOW  TO  COPE

by  Greta   Zwaan




I’ve got a "full moon" migraine, they come as no surprise;
They're bound to be repeated once a month.
I think I have them conquered, I think I'm in control;
And once again it's there before my eyes.


It drives me to the darkness, a place of solitude;
It draws away my every ounce of strength.
I'm forced to total silence, for sounds are amplified;
I live in this environment for many days at length.


So far there's no solution, it's "live" with what you've got;
Just carry on for it is bound to cease.
I struggle to be patient, to wait it out, endure,
Yet silently I'm longing for release.


But then I look at others who carry greater pain,
Who suffer a disease that has no cure.
I realize my blessings, I'm grateful to be me,
I empathize with what they must endure.


Forgive me for complaining or being in despair,
For feeling like these things will never end.
Let me find reassurance that change is bound to come,
And in a day or so I'm on the mend.


There will be reoccurrence; it's been like this for years,
But I've survived these bouts that come and go.
I' learned how to survive them and keep the upper hand,
And through it all I’ve watched my patience grow.


I do not let it rule me, nor give into the pain,
I postpone all such things that irritate.
I wait, I know I have to, or I will feel distress,
The work is always there and it will wait.