Monday, July 22, 2019

PROMISES - by Manya Saxena




PROMISES


by  Manya Saxena


This year I promised to write
only happy songs and I did,
for a while but monsoon 
came unannounced and 
my paper, my paper drowned


This year I promised to run
barefeet on the grass and I did,
for a while, but I forgot about 
the land mower, which mowed 
the entire garden until I was 
standing barefoot on concrete.


This year I promised to dance
my heart out and I did, for a while 
but it took two seconds and 
an uneven surface to break my leg.


This year I promised to have no
regrets and I did but you came
and destroyed my self esteem,
shattered my hopes and left me
alone, forlorn.


This year I promised to not think 
too much but I didn't , I didn't try,
I didn't stop. Instead, I stopped 
making promises that I couldn't 
keep, wrote myself a love song 
and left.