Wednesday, July 31, 2019

I SAW A ROSE - by Moriarty



 


I  SAW  A  ROSE  


by   Moriarty


I saw a rose in garden blooming;
Unthinking, plucked
And watched it wilt forthwith.
I saw each petal fade in fainting
And shrinking fall
Beneath my faltered grip.
I saw the dew that sparkled; laughing
To sink in; sulk;
Suffuse the sodden pith.


You may look, you may wonder
Her wandering beauty.
Her love is enough for
A thousand to draw...
But we look, and we blunder
And wondering; wound her.
On impulse to seize her
And know even more...


I saw a rose complexion blooming;
Unthinking kissed,
And watched it wilt forthwith.
I saw her smile fade in fainting
And shrink away
From my possessive grip.
I saw those eyes that sparkled; laughing
To close in pain,
Suffuse a frightened pall.
My need to keep her; held her; straining
To bind her love
And lose it to us all...