Wednesday, October 14, 2020

WHERE ARE THE JOYS I HAVE MET - by Robert Burns

 

 



WHERE  ARE  THE  JOYS  I  HAVE  MET

by Robert Burns


Where are the joys I have met in the morning,
That danc’d to the lark’s early song ?
Where is the peace that awaited my wand’ring,
At evening the wild-woods among ?


No more a winding the course of yon river,
And marking sweet flowerets so fair,
No more I trace the light footsteps of Pleasure,
But Sorrow and sad-sighing Care.


Is it that Summer’s forsaken our valleys,
And grim, surly Winter is near ?
No, no, the bees humming round the gay roses
Proclaim it the pride of the year.


Fain would I hide what I fear to discover,
Yet long, long, too well have I known;
All that has caused this wreck in my bosom,
Is Jenny, fair Jenny alone.


Time cannot aid me, my griefs are immortal,
Nor Hope dare a comfort bestow:
Come then, enamour’d and fond of my anguish,
Enjoyment I’ll seek in my woe.