Thursday, October 29, 2020

DISAPPOINTMENT - by Richard Lynott O'Malley

 

 
 


DISAPPOINTMENT

by Richard Lynott O'Malley



    I awoke at the dawn of a school holiday,
    And the heavens with clouds were o'ercast;
    And I prayed for the sunlight's tiniest ray,
    But the rain fell heavy and fast,
    Then I calmed my heart with the hope that soon
    It would clear; and the sun at last
    I saw, and I hoped, but alas! at noon
    The rain fell heavy and fast.

    Now faster and faster poured the rain,
    Still I hoped through the storm and the blast;
    And the night came frowning; my hopes were vain,
    For the rain fell heavy and fast.
    Ah! my holiday fled on her own rainy wind,
    And my hopes followed close on her flight;
    But the cold disappointment still clouded my mind
    Which had chilled me from morning till night.
    Then I thought "It is thus with full many a life;
    Each hope comes and goes like a breath;
    And the mortal toils on with vain hope through the strife,
    From childhood to manhood and death."