Saturday, February 8, 2020

MY BURDEN - by Amos Russel Wells




MY  BURDEN

by Amos Russel Wells



 God laid upon my back a grievous load,
A heavy cross to bear along the road.


I staggered on, and lo! one weary day,
An angry lion sprang across my way.


I prayed to God, and swift at His command
The cross became a weapon in my hand.


It slew my raging enemy, and then
Became a cross upon my back again.


I faltered many a league, until at length,
Groaning, I fell, and had no further strength.


"O God," I cried, "I am so weak aud lame!"
Then straight my cross a winged staff became.


It swept me on till I regained the loss,
Then leaped upon my back, again a cross.


I reached a desert. O'er the burning track
I persevered, the cross upon my back.


No shade was there, and in the cruel sun
I sank at last, and thought my days were done.


But lo! the Lord works many a blest surprise
The cross became a tree before my eyes!


I slept; I woke, to feel the strength of ten.
I found the cross upon my back again.


And thus through all my days, from that to this,
The cross, my burden has become my bliss


Nor ever shall I lay the burden down,
For God some day will make the cross a crown!




Nata Vi