Wednesday, March 3, 2021

I LOVE A TREE - by Samuel N. Baxter





I LOVE A TREE

by Samuel N. Baxter


When I pass on to my reward,
Whatever that may be,
I’d like my friends to think of me
As one who loved a tree.


I may not have a statesman’s poise,
Nor thrill a crowd with speech,
But I can benefit mankind
If I set out a beech.


If I transport a sapling oak
To rear its mighty head,
’Twill shade and shelter those who come
Long after I am dead.


If in the park I plant an elm,
Where children come to play,
To them ’twill be a childhood shrine
That will not soon decay.


Of if I plant a tree with fruit,
On which the birds may feed,
I’ve helped to foster feathered friends,
And that’s a worthy deed.


For winter, when the days grow short
And spirits may run low,
I’d plant a pine upon the ‘scape;
’Twould lend a cheering glow.


I’d like a tree to mark the spot
Where I am laid to rest,
To me ‘twould be an epitaph
That I would love the best.


And though not carved upon a stone
For those who come to see,
My friends would know that resting here
Is one who loved a tree.