Thursday, August 9, 2018

ON THE BEACH by Michael Williams



 ON  THE  BEACH

by Michael Williams


At dawn, bare footed, viewing as far as eyes can reach,
the water's edge advances and recedes along the beach.

Before me I see a carpet of half-buried shells of sea-creatures,
tide washed and rippled in sodden sand along the beach.

I move, exploring, sodden sand oozing between my toes,
beyond me the wavelets breaking on the sand along the beach.

Behind me, my wandering trail is blurred and indistinct,
as the water's edge advances and recedes along the beach.

At mid-day, on the soft dry sand behind the water's edge,
undressed worshippers lie in the sun that beats down along the beach.

At night, the moon's reflection at the water's edge
resembles sea serpents playing in the wavelets along the beach.